Thursday, January 2, 2014

Day 2

When I was in therapy years ago, there were 6 areas the therapist highlighted to keep mental well-being. They were Hobbies, Exercise, Spiritual, Relaxation/Meditation, Nutrition and Socializing. I'm using those areas to help organize my goals for the new year.

So keeping on the theme of goals ...

Fitness is a big one for me this year. I mentioned trying to do a mile a day or just a walk at all. I'm excited about moving more and getting back in shape. I got a FitBit for Christmas so I've been wearing it for about a week now and I like being able to keep track of my activity. It's a high tech pedometer but it's a great motivator so far. I'm also getting back into CrossFit. I'm starting with just the warm-up right now and I'll progress to bigger and better when I get more form and endurance up. My biggest wish is to lose weight and tone

I'm sticking with my Community Bible Study and I'm looking forward to that. It's a great way to keep me in the Bible and learning. Nurturing my spiritual side is important and this is a great way to do that. I'm also continuing "The Good and Beautiful" study at my church. We did "The Good and Beautiful God" in the fall and we'll continue with "The Good and Beautiful Life" this spring. Finally, I'll work towards establishing a daily morning routine of reading and studying. It's so much easier to get it done first thing in the morning (just like exercise) but I'm not a great morning person. The kids have to be at school by 7:30 so sometimes my goal is to do it after they're gone but that doesn't always work either.

So that covers exercise and spirituality. Nutrition - basically just tracking my food intake (food log) like I've been doing for several months (except for Thanksgiving to Christmas). Logging my food has helped me from eating things I shouldn't, say, raw cookie dough. Who wants to look back and see that written down?? I'm going to keep drinking lots of water and work on cleaner eating, or less processed foods. Nothing revolutionary but I certainly don't want to undo whatever progress I make with my exercise.

Hobbies. I could fill my days for the next few decades with all that I want to get done. Keeping it manageable is hard! But I certainly don't want to delay making cute baby things when the baby is only small so long. So knitting, sewing and scrapbooking are my craft trifecta. Knitting - more socks and cardigans, more for me, more practical & wearable items. Sewing - not sure. I need to reenter my craft room and see what's unfinished and then get to work. I have more than a few t-shirt quilts that I could make. Scrapbooking - just as I mentioned yesterday, organizing photos and scrapping more. I'm doing the photo-a-day project with my son, taking a few classes, and then hopefully creating lots of photobooks. I'm thinking of making yearbooks of our early years just to get the photos into the hands of my kids. I find them often looking at the 8x8 photobooks I've made and I would love to give them more.

Relaxation/Meditation. This blends into spirituality for me. I also see it as a recharging time. I like baths, reading, walking and I need to journal more.

Socializing. This is tough. I really enjoy my solitary time. But I certainly need to foster the relationships in my family so date night will be big, along with journaling & one-on-one time with the kids. I'm heading up Vacation Bible School at my church which will entail a lot of working with others. I joined Lain Ehmann's Scrap Happy community so I can meet like-minded scrapbookers, create relationships and find inspiration. And I'll continue to take classes at Big Picture Classes. Uploading layouts and being active in the forums will be the key to taking both ScrapHappy and BPC to the next level. It's easy to lurk but putting in the effort to connect will pay dividends.

OK. Most boring post ever, but for me, a great way to organize my thoughts and stay focused. Happy 2014!

No comments: