Monday, September 23, 2013

Exactly

I had a nasty bout of insomnia last night, my brain running down a million different bunny trails. I couldn't find the peace to get to sleep with an endless to-do list mounting and no way to check things off. I finally meditated on a mantra-type phrase that I learned in my Bible study a week or so ago. I drifted off eventually and I'm so thankful I did.

As I mentioned in my last post, I've been reading and consuming lots of encouraging, uplifting, instructional blogs about living a better, more focused life. So often it's so easy to acquire knowledge but the key is to do. And at this point in my life, that will look different than when my kids are all in school or eventually out of the house. I am learning so much about seasons in life and how so many good ideas are ok to put aside until it's more appropriate and better lined up with my priorities. This post today from Simple Mom is exactly my next step.

I'm finding that I love the idea of things. I see the potential in so much and want to dig in, but spread myself thin. I love being creative - sewing, knitting, scrapbooking, etc. - and I've accumulated a lot of supplies but if I'm not producing, then I am likely falling short of the goal. My Bible studies are like that, I think. I'm storing up a lot of knowledge (God willing!) and then the next step is to live out my faith. However, I'm learning that I don't have to be involved in everything to do that. I think doing a few things really well might be better for me and whatever I'm involved in.

So, good intentions abound in my life. Whether crafting, volunteering, parenting, it's all worthwhile but focusing and doing is where I need to be. Not just preparing (like all the craft supplies I have), not just studying up, but now actually doing. In all likelihood, I'm as equipped as I need to be to get going. Now it's time to get on with it. And this blog post will hopefully keep me accountable to just that.

No comments: