Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Where to start?

The million dollar question - where to start? I spent some time in my craft room yesterday, sorting through shelves of planned projects, half-finished projects, and good intentions that I can't quite remember. I'm usually good about putting projects in Ziploc bags but in several I had all the fabric but no pattern. Or the yarn but no needles (and if the project is almost complete, that's a problem if I want to maintain guage). For the ones I remember, I hunted down patterns which lead to more than a few rabbit trails on the computer. I had already made one circle wrap skirt but I cannot find the pattern anywhere, not in my room, not on the vast internet. There are plenty of others so I can make due but it's befuddling, to say the least.

On a positive note, I found $20 in an envelope inside a magazine. Bonus!!

So many of my projects are so near completion that it's easy to lose focus and want to finish them all right now. I'm not sure that's the best route so I practiced restraint as best I could. My day and mind work better when I have a plan, a framework to work within so I accomplish something. For instance, I usually run all my appliances first thing in the morning to get a jump on chores - I LOVE having the dishwasher, clothes washer and dryer all running at the same time. It's the best! I feel like I've accomplished something and so while they're working, I can move onto other things, like eating breakfast.

True confessions: sometimes I get sidetracked by the computer or reading blogs while all my machines are working. And that's what I need to fight. It happened this morning and I'm frustrated with myself. I have a day free of meetings or obligations until after school and I'm almost paralyzed with all the possibilities. Cue framework. As my kids learn, first things first. Quiet time should be first - I'll have to work on that soon. Next is chores: check. Then I need to be working out. So when I hit publish, I'm putting on my sneakers and getting a workout in. No excuses. And CGN will love the time outside. After that? Find one project I can finish during naptime and knock it out.

Slow and steady, right? Time to go get laced up ...

No comments: